Respiratory diseases in the world
Some of the key issues highlighted in the report are:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) affects more than 200 million people and is the fourth leading cause of death in the world.
- Asthma affects about 235 million people worldwide, is one of the most frequent reasons for hospital admissions among children, and leads to approximately 180,000 deaths each year.
- Tuberculosis (TB) kills around 1.4 million people with about 8.7 million new cases annually.
- Respiratory infections account for over 4 million deaths annually, including 1.3 million children under 5, and are the leading cause of death in low- and middle-income countries.
- Lung cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the world, accounting for 13% of the total reported cancers and affecting over 1.6 million people annually.